The January Birthstone is Garnet
Garnet from the Jeffery Mine
Garnet. Jeffery Mine in Quebec Canada. A Bureau of Mines mineral specimen. 
The January birthstone is Garnet. It naturally occurs in many different colors and shapes. Garnet gemstones are a family of crystals with similar chemical make-up. The natural variety of color and shape can be a great inspiration for jewelry makers and artisans. There are many beautiful pieces of Garnet jewelry on the market today.
The characteristics of Garnet
The January birthstone can be found in shades of red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple, brown, black, pink and colorless. The rarest color of garnet is blue. Red is the most common. Some varieties of Garnet can absorb the yellow component of some light sources and can change color depending on the quality of the light. Because of this it is often misidentified as Alexandrite.
- By Alkivar at en.wikipedia [Public domain], from Wikimedia Commons
- By Elade53 (Own work) [CC BY-SA 3.0], via Wikimedia Commons
- By WesternDevil (ltWiki) [GFDL or CC-BY-SA-3.0], via Wikimedia Commons
- By User Arpingstone on en.wikipedia [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons
- See page for author [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons